<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 01, 2004


Oscars and Memories

I've just finished watching the Academy Awards for this past year of film-making, and wow, what a year it was for the movies. So many good films!! The only award with which I was disappointed was Best Actor in a Leading Role. That award had Johnny Depp's name written all over it!! It is somewhat unfortunate that the Lord of the Rings had to be brought to completion in a year filled with masterpieces of all kinds. Yet, at the same time, they deserve every award they got. I'd like to thank Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, their marvelous cast and fantastic crew who brought to life my all time favorite story in a way that never disappointed and for their courage and vision to do so.

While I was watching, it brought back many memories for me. Memories of a past life when I won Oscars...no, not really. But, memories of a part of my life's past. Acting. What is it about story that drives me to the far ends of emotional spectrums, that causes me to want tell it out, that causes me to want to stand in front of hundreds of people and make a life not mine, my own? Story is amazing. I love acting and miss it tremendously. I listened to all those actors and directors and casts and crews tonight talk about each of their amazing experiences and what it was like to work on such and such a project with so and so and was taken back to all the projects of which I was blessed to be a part. So, if you'd indulge me, I'd like to relive a few moments of my own and maybe thank a few folks, especially if they live in New Zealand.

I remember...

...the breathless bows and uncontrollable grins of the male cast of Fort Myers High School's production of "Guys and Dolls" when us boys finished our dance number on opening night to a standing ovation and applause that shook the roof. We never thought we could do it...until we did.

...the feeling of being a nervous freshman in college, knowing hardly anyone, and deciding, "What the hell? I'll audition..." though I was not a theater major/minor and the shock and joy of seeing my name on that cast list. Here's to WFU Theatre and J.K. who gave me my first chance and to the character of dear old Prof. Dingley in Goodbye, My Fancy.

...the silence following Hilary's big moment in "Children of a Lesser God", sophomore year of college, the bonding that cast inspired, and the friendships that remain because of its power.

...the bittersweet gratitude I felt, junior year of college, when I found out that my friend and stage manager for A Midsummer Night's Dream had stepped out in front of the curtain the night after opening night to tell the audience that she and the whole cast and crew were dedicating this show to Brook Watson and myself, whose tragic losses of loved ones prevented us from performing a show on which we had worked so hard. Here's to Cary Donaldson, for his caring leadership of the cast and kind words. The gratitude I felt to my director Sharon Andrews who allowed me to perform opening night before I got on a plane the next morning to go home to bury one of my best friends. Here's to you Drew!

...needing to sit down when I received Alan English's phone call senior year of college. I had auditioned for his play and was called back, but due to a scheduling conflict I could only make one hours of callbacks, never a good thing. I left him a message hoping this would not be a problem. He phoned me back and said that was fine becuase they really only needed my to see which women I played best with, because, as he said, "Well, you're Garton." So, here's to Alan English, who allowed me to achieve my acting dream of getting cast in a lead role. And here's to Joey Picard, for writing such a darkly funny piece, which I hope I fulfilled. And here's to my parents, who flew up to see me in "Wisdom Teeth".

...so many days and nights of endless rehearsals where strangers and acquaintances slowly became family.

...the F.A.T. House.

...Brook, Sharon, J.K. Jenn, Alan, Joe, Mark, Cindy, J.E.R.F., and Nina, who all believed in me.

...the night's where we played our own little Academy Awards at the banquets. Though, Wolfgang Puck was definitely not the chef.

I love acting. I miss acting. I will always enjoy shows and those who put them on. Never underestimate the power of story.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?