<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 18, 2004


Observations

While driving home this afternoon, I crossed paths with a campaign sign reading: "Timothy Nimrod: Democrat for Judge".

Now I don't know about you, but I'd vote against this guy just on account of his name.


Secondly, in OT II class today we began our discussion of Wisdom Literature, quite possibly my favorite portion of the Hebrew Bible (though its a toss up with Genesis and Exodus). To enliven discussion and make the topic more culturally relevant, Frank used two songs: In the End, by Linkin Park and Hurt by Trent Reznor, but as performed by Johnny Cash. I always love it when media, such as song or film, is used to further an academic point. It just makes it more fun. Anyway, we talked about how these songs represent to their performers a looking back, a reflection on what has meant or has not meant, and how that has shaped them. There is obviously a generation difference between the two. It got me thinking though, what songs shaped me in my growing up years, which, contrary to what Shana would have me believe, are far from done. I enjoy my youth, thank you very much. Anyway, the following are a list of the songs I think had something to do with shaping me at different stages along in my journey. It is roughly chronological and likely reflects my past and current eclectic tastes in music:

Early Middle School Years
If Tomorrow Never Comes: Garth Brooks

Late Middle School Years
Smells Like Teen Spirit: Nirvana
Better Man: Pearl Jam
Unforgiven: Metallica

Early High School Years
Freshman Year
Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts: Less Than Jake
Killing in the Name: Rage Against the Machine
Sophomore Year
Jesus Freak: dc Talk
Kentucky Rose: Michael W. Smith

Late High School Years
Wish You Were Here: Pink Floyd
Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps: Cake
Santeria: Sublime
Hero of the Day: Metallica
If You Let Me Love You: Smalltown Poets
As the Deer: Martin Nystrom
Faith Like a Child: Jars of Clay

Early College Years
Everything You Want: Vertical Horizon
Deep Enough to Dream: Chris Rice
Fire and Rain: James Taylor
Worlds Apart: Jars of Clay
Journey to the End: Rancid
The song about moving microwaves and TVs, simply because it was played in my room at least twice a day
Hurricane: Bob Dylan (for same reason as above)
Magic Carpet Ride: Steppenwolf

Late College Years
Simple Man: Lynard Skynard
Wish You Were Here: Pink Floyd (for a different reason than above)
Things I Prayed For: Eli
Corazon de Oro: Rancid
See the Glory: Steven Curtis Chapman

Well, thats probably enough for now...what are some of the songs that formed you - not your favorites necessarily, though these two categories may intertwine.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?