<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 13, 2004


In the Name of Tradition...

I will now post my poem on Valentine's Day, which I generally find to be the worst of the holidays. Your options on this day are usually loneliness or bankruptcy. Please note that this poem was written from the perspective of someone residing on a college campus. Without further ado, I give you -

Valentine's Day

Looking out my window on this contrived day
I see the dawn peeking over the edges of reality.
Dreams of short skirts and beer are broken away
As sleep encrusted eyes open to face their malady.

Everyone’s vision is clouded over pink and red
With hearts and armed angels piercing chocolate balls.
The happy pairs speak lies and think only of the night’s bed
While they flaunt their plastic smiles painted on like dolls.

This is what I see through that glass up above
And I tell you from where I sit to look below.
Stare behind the pretty picked fences of love
That portray all happiness and hide all woe.

There you will see the lady and gentleman
As they dine upon his first prepared meal.
He goes for more wine so she’ll surely be a ten
And she vomits so she won’t lose her sex appeal.

So they all fall into bed after this dedicated day
To lovers everywhere, with an empty billfold
But fulfilled, because they did it the right way
And conformity is all that matters; fitting the mold.

So this is what I see from that glass above.
To single men and women everywhere –strive for this
Picturesque model, this way of the world called love.
So, go on, shoot for the stars, you can’t miss!

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?