<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, January 11, 2004


The Reign Has Ended...

Before I get to the bit of news to which I alluded in my title, I'll write the rest of my intended blog.

I returned home this evening from a wonderful weekend retreat to the DeKoven Center in Racine, Wisconsin (officially logging hours in the farthest north geographical location I've ever been) for the entering class of Seabury students. The retreat was led by our illustrious Dean, the Rev. Jim Lemler and the theme was "Call and Servanthood" (translated into layman's terms = church leadership). It was a wonderful opportunity to get away and the setting could not have been more lovely - the ground was just covered in white puffy snow! I was even coerced into making my first snow angel and I have Deacon Carol Fleming to thank for that. (I simply just couldn't have a fifty year old woman outdo me! If she can flop around in the snow, then so can I!) Anyway, we had a blast - the Holy Spirit answered our prayer and was made manifest through the worship and quiet times of the weekend.

I managed to finish my last novel, Robert Penn Warren's All the King's Men a while ago and forgot to blog about it. It was a really good book with hard to surpass dialogue. Stylistically, it did slow me down in several parts, but that was minor. It was the story of Louisiana governor, Huey Long (circa 1930) and his rise and fall. Both aspects of the gubernatorial term of Mr. Long (intentionally poorly disguised as the character Willie Stark) were very interesting and it was an excellent portrayal of Southern American life during that time.

Now I am on to reading (thanks to Hudd) Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, a sci-fi novel that is very entertaining about a cyber-hacker. It was originally published in 1992 (a millennia ago in terms of computer technology) and it is amazing to see how right on Stephenson was with his predictions about where we'd be in his imagined future, right down to the popularity of reality-TV shows! Also, since I mentioned Hudd, I just got finished watching S.W.A.T., a pretty good action-cop movie, with lots of shooting and lots of explosions, so there will be no complaints from one Johnson City television set.

And now, on to the distressing, disturbing, depressing, make-me-go-get-the-bottle news:

After a wonderful weekend I get an email tonight from my fraternal Brother, Mason Fox Matthews, of Raleigh, NC. We have long since played a particular video game together known as Super Monkey Ball - yeah, ifs goofy, but highly addictive. Before my infamous brother graduated WFU, I beat him at his own game finally, scoring a high score of 2,050. Now, that is a damn high score in this particular game. It stood as the high score for years...until when I attended another brother's wedding (Mark Sherriff) in late December, we all got together and, of course, had to play a little Monkeyball. I then and there beat my own high score, ringing in an unheard of 2,540. The celebration was heard for...well, likely only through the house, but I was happy and Fox was incredulous. There was simply no way anyone could beat that score. I was resigned to my eternal victory. Until tonight. He sends me the email saying he beat me. With him knowing me as he does, he also sent a digital picture as proof. It is true ladies and gentleman - I have fallen. Fox weighed in with 2,880. I willingly bend the knee to my superior, for now. This can only mean one thing...come the summer, when that minister stands up and asks if anyone has any objections why a certain two should not be wed, well then, I might just have to give a small speech. Now of course, he beat me fair and square at this game, but this is just not the case for all contests. I recall a certain footrace...and if he can cheat on that, well then he might be capable of cheating on anything and I think Miss Lucia should be made duly aware. Of course, I am only jesting. Mason is a man of impeccable character and loyalty, and would never break any vows he has or will take. But he did cheat at that race. :) Nonetheless, this does mean that he'll have to provide me with ample opportunity to answer his score during the festivities. So, in the end I'll say - Well done my brother, but don't sit too pretty yet. My wedding present to you may just be a "3,000".

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?