<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 09, 2004


More on Communion and Baptism

In his reply to my post on Baptism and Communion, Micah has made some excellent arguments surrounding the debate. He pointed out that I do not describe "the theological thinking that would help someone to evaluate the various positions for themselves" and this is true, mostly because I am not all to familiar with it and would love to understand it better for myself. So, for his explanations and opinions, I am grateful. I enjoyed his analogy of baptism and communion to sex and marriage and did not think it controversial or out of line at all. You correctly pegged me, sir, as being one who holds to the ideals that just as one should not (nor cannot) fully enjoy communion without baptism, neither should one enjoy sex without marriage. I know, I am antediluvian when it comes to this line of thinking, but that's me. As my college friend Cambra would say, I am "fusty".

I thank you for your insights and astute comments Micah and I particularly enjoyed your closing remarks. I too would love to be able to say, "We welcome to Christ's table all who sincerely seek Christ in the bread and wine. We hope you will accept HIS invitation," but I would change that to say "we welcome all who sincerely seek Christ to accept His baptism, which is more than we on earth can give. I would encourage you to consider in your heart what it is you seek or desire - is it merely a status symbol or an exercise of your will to eat and drink, or is it truly a yearning for Christ to fully be in your life? It the former, then eat and drink at your peril, but if the latter, get ready to get wet."

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?