<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 19, 2004


"Held in Trust..."

On the Incoming Student's Retreat which we took a couple of weeks ago, we had a discussion on what it meant to be "held in trust" by another. The conclusion my small group came to was that it meant someone who loved you, but kept you in line; they encouraged you, but was always honest (and kept you honest!) in their appraisal of you (sometimes brutally so); they picked you up when you fell and strengthened you when you stood tall; they were loyal and generally gave more to you than you either deserved or gave back to them. During this discussion I thought immediately of two persons in my life who matched that description exactly: Millie Harris and Liz Richardson. My group inquired as to whether I had ever let those folks know all this or not, and to my shame, I had to reply no. They then admonished me that before I did anything else, I needed to call them and tell them. Well, obviously I did a few things first, but I just got off the phone with Liz and we had a wonderful conversation. She said she was honored that I thought of her, but it is really me who is honored the more. She is enjoying her teaching job (freshmen highschool pre-algebra) in Virginia and is living with her old college roommates. (Must be grand!) I intend to call Millie soon and let her know what it has meant to me that she has held me in trust.

The Martin Luther King, Jr. (who held the nation in trust!) celebratory Eucharist was wonderful tonight. There was more singing than I don't know what, but it was all good music, even if I couldn't by any means do it justice. The preacher delivered a fine message - I just wished she packed a bit more of a punch in her delivery. She had some fi'ry words, she just forgot to light them! All in all though, it was an excellent event. There was a lovely reception afterwards for mingling, conversation, and cocktail shrimp. Brennan - you'll be proud of me, as I stole away with the last two shrimp on the tray!

Hopefully I will get to bed a little early tonight so I can catch up with my novel. I'm really enjoying Snow Crash, Hudd, good suggestion!

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?