<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 11, 2003


A funny thing happened on the way to the car...

So I go out to scrape the ice and snow of my car windshields (yes, that's right Floridians, we got a "light dusting" tonight, plus freezing temperatures to persist all night) and as I am scraping, I see a woman walking her dog down the alleyway between my building and, apparently, hers. I wish her a good evening, and go back to my business. She pauses, and then says, "You're the seminarian," in a matter of fact tone.

Travel back with me in time to before Thanksgiving. I go out to my car go to school one day and there is a note on my windshield. It said, "Hi - I'm Happening Spiritual Director for the Diocese of Chicago and am also your next door neighbor...Feel free to give me a call at church if you're interested in making contact with the local Happening community. In Christ, Deacon Lee Gaede." Then she left her number. So I called her and left a message saying I was going out of town for Thanksgiving and would give her another call back before Christmas, which of course I've not done because I'm forgetful. Needless to say I was surprised she knew who I was! I mean, if she took a walk around my entire car she could find out I had something to do with Happening #40, am Episcopalian, am from Florida, and went to Wake Forest. Maybe she knew I was a Seabury student, maybe not. It was surprising nonetheless, cause why would she walk all the way around my car??

Anyway, back to tonight. So we chatted for a few moments and I noticed she walked in front of my car to get into her side door (explaning her observances). When I told her I would be interested in seeing what I could do to help out Happening, she informed me the next weekend is at the end of February and for me to give her a call when I return from Christmas break. How exciting! I live on the right block - clergy/future clergy central! What are the odds! Anyway, I thought it funny.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?