<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 05, 2003


Splitting Fibers

A rope, when it becomes strained too much, begins to fragment, and individual fibers begin to split, weakening the whole. Such has begun within the Anglican Communion, to the great sadness of many, including myself. The consecration of Gene Robinson to the Bishopric flies in the face of the Primates' meeting of last month, the 1998 Lambeth Conference teachings, and over four millenia of tradition and biblical teaching. Many cite the Holy Spirit as bringing about the 'Spirit of Change', and I struggle with this notion greatly. I don't know if what we did was ethically, morally, and/or biblically right or wrong. I only know that a small percentage of the Anglican Communion has dictated to the rest of the world policy to which they do not agree. Our privileged position of wealth and power in the U.S. has made this a possibility. I am grived by these actions, even as I am grieved by the hateful and very hurtful remakrs made by some on both sides of the controversy. I don't know what to do. My bishop had some good remarks to make: "'I do not intend to leave the Episcopal Church or the Anglican Communion.' I do believe that we must now discover what it means to live in impaired or broken communion within the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion." (For full text: Bishop Lipscomb's Response Bishop Lipscomb's Response) Several Primates have already announced their break in Communion with those dioceses and provinces which have supported the consecration of Gene Robinson. It is a dark day for sure. The days, weeks, months, and years ahead will be forged with difficulty. I pray God gives us the strength to do what is right, forgives our sins when we do what is wrong, and is merciful to us in all things.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?