<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 10, 2003


"Christ to the World" & On Com,mas

Sweetness! So, I've been taking this music theory class in order to learn how to improve both my musical understanding and my vocal talent, or lack thereof. We've been learning about notes, rhythm, pitch, that sort of thing. So tonight I picked out a hymn (#537), went to the piano and tried to play the melody line. I know how to find the notes on the piano and I know how to figure out what the notes are off the sheet music. It takes me a long time, but I can do it! So I sat there for a half hour, wrote out the letter notation on a piece of paper and learned how to play the melody line. And you know what? I DID IT! I, Ryan R. Whitley, friggin' read sheet music and learned to play a bit of a song! Unbelievable! I'll practice the song all week so I can show the rest of the class next time we meet! "Christ to the world we sing; the world to Christ we bring!"

A small aside: Jeff Reich gave an excellent sermon today at mass! It resonated with me on so many levels, and I really must commend his courage. He spoke from a stance that is not the safest at Seabury. But he did so in an eloquent, sensitive manner, that should not have put any one out. I enjoyed it, and it really spoke to me. Props to Jeff!

Now, for my spouting off on commas. Commas are particular punctuation marks used to denote a slight pause in the phrase or sentence. Not a long pause, just a slight one. They help pacing and thought organization. When reading out loud, one should pay particular attention to commas, and pause at them slightly. Don't pause as long as a period, but just ever so slightly. In chapel, we often do responsive readings and readings in unison and we pause at the most awkward times! It drives me nuts!!! We don't pause when we come to commas, but do pause when there are not any, such as at the end of a line. Just because it's the end of the line, folks, doesn't mean you pause. Go right on to the next line! That way we end up with a reading that sounds NORMAL, instead of an old car trying to start: "Eternal God Heavenly Father, you have graciously accepted us, as living members, of your Son, our Saviour, Jesus Christ, and you have fed us, with spiritual food, in the Sacrament of His body and blood. Send us now, into the world in peace, and grant us strength and courage, to love and serve you, with gladness, and singleness of heart; through Christ our Lord. Amen." To take that many pauses is ridiculous and doesn't sound good! Use the commas given to you, and no more. You have no commas to add. So don't.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?